Sunday, November 27, 2016

Visualizing Math

As I explore my own learning of mathematical foundations, I recognize more and more the importance of being able to visualize concepts and be able to communicate that representation to students. Where to begin and how best to represent a concept can be challenging though because it is not how I was taught math!  I like the 18x5 demonstration in the article below as a good starting point. The link to an algebra example towards the bottom of the article (starts at about the 5:20 mark) provides a great connection to more advanced math. If we can use these strategies, perhaps students won't "hit the wall" like I did in high school where memorization could only carry you so far. 
https://www.youcubed.org/think-it-up/visual-math-improves-math-performance/

No comments:

Post a Comment